|
Maybe they'd have to hold each other when it rose, all organe and full and close. Maybe that's where our romantic notions about the moon first came from. Two people holding each other to keep their hearts from breaking, because everybody they knew was dying in the cold rocks and dust piles a quarter million miles away...
The Brothers K
|
fredag, august 27, 2004
My, my, my. The summer has both flown and crawled by. It's this interesting paradox where on the one hand, it feels like I arrived here just yesterday, and I barely had time to get to know my roomates and finish a research project and all of that stuff; but on the other hand, I feel like I've been here centuries and the days have just dragged by slowly. I guess I should probably do an end-of-summer reflection here, but I don't know what I could say that really would be appropriate for this domain. However, I highly recommend escape if you are stressed out by your life. I desperately needed a respite from the crazy hectic schedule of Stanford overcommittedness and drama, and this was the perfect way to restore myself. It was a forced retreat: I had no internet at home, I did not speak the language, and I knew no one except my bosses. It was the first time I really had to be on my own, so I got very comfortable doing things on my own and being independent. I'm so used to it that it might be a little difficult once I get back to not be able to do things I want at a moment's whim. But, most importantly it was a good way for me to touch base with myself - figure out what's important to me, what I should be doing, focus my life correctly. I have not felt this together, with it, and in general prepared and rejuvenated since...I don't know, middle school? It was nice to take a vacation from reality, and realize that reality could be like a vacation.
Now, I'm finishing off the summer with a fun time in Italy, visiting my dad in Trieste, outside Venice, at a conference. Then I go home, and then I come back! (And I will have two months' worth of socializing and sun to make up for, so look forward to some mad partying :P)
As a going away present, I leave you pictures of Paris: Day 4!
|
|